Spirituality impacts mental health
The idea of spirituality means different things for different people, but one thing they all have in common is the range of effects spirituality can have on our mental health.
Positive impacts of spirituality
There are several ways spirituality can support mental health:
• You may feel a higher sense of purpose, peace, hope and meaning
• You may experience greater confidence, self-esteem and self-control
• It can help you make sense of your life experiences
• When unwell, it can help you feel inner strength for faster recovery
• You may have more support if you are in a spiritual community
• You may build better relationships with yourself and others
Negative impacts of spirituality
Some people may take advantage of emotionally vulnerable people while pretending to support their spirituality. If you are emotionally vulnerable, you can be more easily conviced to take part in unhealthy activities.
If your spiritual beliefs are affecting your mental state, you should seek a professional's advice, especially if you have worries and are under stress due to your spirituality.
Improving spiritual health
It is important to take care of your spiritual health. Different approaches work differently for different people and you should do what makes you most comfortable. Ideas to improve your spiritual health includes:
• Finding out what makes you feel peaceful, loved, strong and connected
• Dedicate part of your day to doing community service
• Try meditating
• Play your favourite sport
• Dedicate quiet time to yourself